Top 3 Website management systems
Making a website is similar to building a house – you can’t build a house without a foundation. Also, your house structure determines the type of foundation that’s appropriate -just like building a house, you need a solid foundation. And this is where picking the right website building platform or CMS comes into play.
#1. Choose The Best Website Building Platform (CMS)
A platform, also known as a Content Management System (CMS), is where you make changes to the website you’ve created. It’s how you add new pages, create blog posts, and change the layout and color scheme. The platform makes it easy to maintain and update your site on a regular basis.
Platforms are the foundation and pillars of your website, just like some houses are built from stone and some are built from wood, the platform your website is built upon determines how robust your website will ever be.
You don’t need to get too caught up in the technical details of what this means. All you need to know is that your website needs to be built from something (your platform).
So which platform (CMS) should you use? Here are the most popular CMS on the internet
Platform #1: WordPress
- It’s responsive, meaning it works really well on tablets and mobile devices.
- It’s totally FREE and comes with many layouts/themes to choose from
- It is secure – WordPress code is constantly reviewed by thousands of developers all over the world. This ensures that vulnerabilities and breaches are discovered sooner rather than later and fixed quickly too.
- It comes with plugins that enables you to extend it’s functionality. From adding a contact form, an image gallery, social media integration to transforming your wordpress site to an ecommerce store, WordPress plugins saves you the time and resources to build a custom solution.
- In terms of ease of use, resources available, and overall flexibility, it’s really difficult to beat WordPress
Great for both Big and Small websites.
From basic blogs to beautiful business sites and online stores, WordPress can handle just about any kind of website. WordPress is used by eBay, Mozilla, Reuters, CNN, Google Ventures and even NASA. It’s powerful enough to accomplish just about anything. If you’re determined to develop a complex website, portal, tool or app, we recommend that you a developer or development firm.
Platform #2: Joomla
Joomla is similar to WordPress and works great for websites too, but you’ll need at least a little bit of technical coding to make it work the way you want it to
Platform #3: Drupal
Drupal is a very powerful platform that is popular with web developers and experienced coders, but it comes with a very steep learning curve that makes it a bad choice for beginners.
Step One Summary
THINGS TO DO BEFORE THE NEXT STEP:
Decide which website platform you’ll use. We highly recommend the WordPress platform – it’s simplicity and ease of use makes it the default choice for individuals and businesses who don’t have tons of cash and resources for web development.